Regulations related to composting
Regulations in Finland
- The composting shall be carried out in an orderly fashion without causing any harm to the environment.
- A household waste composter must be hermetically sealed against harmful animals. Household waste must not be composted in an open compost or in cages assembled of boards but in composters which are properly sealed against rodents and fitted with a tight cover.
- Local waste disposal regulations usually require that a household waste composter be thermally insulated. This means composting is sufficiently rapid and does not cause odour or fly problems.
- Garden waste can be composted in a composter or an open compost both in rural and urban areas.
- The distance from the compost to the nearest well for household use must be at least 15 m. Without the consent of neighbours, the compost must not be located within 5 m of their borders.
Consult the waste advisor of the regional refuse collection and disposal company or the municipal environmental office for local instructions and waste disposal regulations.